Teen marriage leads to future failure

Today it is not uncommon to see teens fully engaged in relationships. Whether it be on Facebook, over the telephone or face-to-face, public displays of affection can be seen or heard everywhere. However, as these relationships become more and more serious, teen marriage becomes more predominant all across the United States. Many statistics show that almost half of teen marriages fail within the first ten years, yet teenagers continue to make dramatic commitments to each other. Teen marriage only sets young people up for failure. Teens should wait to make a commitment of marriage until they are mature, decision making adults.

Marriage requires money. A teenager who is “mature” enough to get married is likely too old to be supported by his or her parents; therefore, the teen must have a job to pay for his or her “family.” Managing a steady job and a high school education is difficult, if not impossible. Around 23 percent of teens drop out of high school after getting married, thus making life more difficult in the future.

Socially it is acceptable to have children after getting married; however, for a teen marriage that is already likely to fail a child only complicates the situation. Married or not, a person must have a certain maturity level to raise a child. Marriage at a young age opens the door for multiple commitments that a teenager is not prepared for.

As teenagers marry, possibly have children and drop out of school to find jobs, the cycle of poverty only begins. Without proper education and experience it is hard for these young students to find high paying jobs. Supporting a family, including a spouse and a child, can be exhausting and requires experience that a teenager does not have.

Although many believe teens should be able to marry whenever they please, when viewed from the top teen marriage sets teens up for failure not only in their relationship, but also in future jobs. Marriage at a young age leads students to drop out, leaving teens with no high school diploma and no college education. The search for a well-paying job is difficult without proper education causing funds to be very limited. Not to mention, if the couple decides to add children to their family even more money is needed. Teen marriage only causes stress and trouble for young students and should be avoided until full maturity is reached.